Re: Back porting of ext3 to 2.2.X line

Hi,

On Tue, Oct 16, 2001 at 02:12:16PM -0700, Mike Fedyk wrote:

> > Beyond critical bug-fixes, no (and even critical bugfixes will get
> > higher priority on 2.4 than on 2.2.)

> What features are missing in the 2.2 ext3 that are in the 2.4 ext3?

Mainly performance.  There are also a lot of code cleanups in the 2.4
tree, and there has been work done in 2.4 to allow for more graceful
recovery from dead disks: the 2.4 tree has support for taking the
filesystem readonly, and forcing an immediate abort of the journal, on
certain errors.

Most of the genuine bug-fixes we've done in the 2.4 tree are for
2.4-only bugs, as the 2.4 kernel VFS is substantially different from
2.2's in many ways (which is precisely why keeping the two trees in
sync is really not feasible.)