Re: "ext2fs_check_if_mount: No such file or directory while determining whether" messages

On Wed, Oct 17, 2001 at 12:21:29AM -0200, Frederic L. W. Meunier wrote:

> I don't know what I did to get the following messages, but in
> my last boot I removed /etc/mtab (at runtime) and made it a
> symlink to /proc/mounts. Not sure if a bad idea, but the only
> problem until I rebooted was the need of losetup -d.

This is fine, but you have to make sure that /proc is mounted after
you remount the root read/write.  E2fsck needs to be able to check
whether or not filesystems are mounted, and so that's why it's
complaining about these errors:

> ext2fs_check_if_mount: No such file or directory while determining whether /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part4 is mounted.

> /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part3 has been mounted 20 times without being checked, check forced.
> /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part4 has gone 191 days without being checked, check forced.
>
> I'd like to know why it did check the other file systems. I
> used tune2fs -c 0 -i 0 with them mounted some time ago (but
> not with 2.4.10).

Can you run dumpe2fs -h on those partitions?  It looks like the time
between checks and number of mounts between check has gotten reset.
How or why, that's not clear, but you can use tune2fs -c 0 -i 0 again
to avoid the filesystem checks from happening in the future.  (It is a
good idea to run fsck from time to time, though, just in case kernel
bugs or hardware hiccups have introduced corruption in the filesystem.)

					- Ted