Re: using non-default blocks per group

On Oct 19, 2001  16:42 -0700, Jeffrey W. Baker wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Oct 2001, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:
> > No, although one important piece of metadata --- the journal --- will
> > not get balanced in respect of the -g setting in ext3's case.
>
> And this is because the journal's metadata is in one place, right?  It's
> as though you repeatedly touch one file?
>
> I actually don't have much of a problem with that b/c I can't think of any
> way around it.

It shouldn't really be a problem because the size of the journal is much
larger than a single stripe, and it is always used in a circular way, so
it will do an equal amount of I/O to each disk.  Of course, if you are
really looking for performance, you may want to put the journal on a
separate disk.

Cheers, Andreas