Re: FSCK?

On Oct 20, 2001  11:26 -0400, Jason A. Lixfeld wrote:
> Well, it took me about 2 weeks to find a kernel version stable enough to
> run LVM/EXT3/Promise FastTrack100.  That was 2.4.10-ac11.  The last
> thing I want to do is start to try new kernels and such.  I had such
> problems previously.

Sounds like you have more of a hardware problem than anything.

> 1) Why did a forced fsck come up so errornous when a normal fsck said
> the filesystem was clean?!

Because a normal fsck will only check the superblock to see if it says
that everything is OK.  Under normal cases, this is enough.  If there are
any errors when using the filesystem, it will put an error in the superblock
or the journal which e2fsck will notice.  It sounds like in your case the
data in the filesystem is junk.

> 2) How do I get rid of all the crap that's in the lost+found directory?
> I get permission denied errors and the sort trying to delete as root.

Use "chattr -i lost+found/*" as a start.

> 3) Is there any way to throttle writes to an LVM, or an EXT3 partition?
> I think that's what did it.  I was moving data around from a super fast
> striped ATA100 RAID to an appended LVM.  How can I throttle the LVM to
> only allow a couple of MB/sec?!  That will also keep kjournald down at a
> respectable CPU/MEM utilization instead of chewing up all my resources
> and b0rking my system :)

Use "dma=off" or whatever the appropriate flag to turn off IDE dma is.

Cheers, Andreas