Problem with root file system

I am using a Redhat 7.1 system with the Kernel 2.4.10.

I have the two partitions on the system:

/dev/hda1 = /
/dev/hb5 = /extra

I was able to create the journal for both filesystems using the tune2fs -j command.

I have also updated my "fstab" file to reflect "ext3"

When I try to reboot the machine without unmounting the filesystems. It still shows that I have not cleanly unmounted my root filesystem and it goes through the fsck process.

However for my second partition it says "Recovering Journal" and everything is fine.

I have tried to re-create the journal for my root partition by using tune2fs -j /dev/hda1

However, I get the following error:
tune2fs 1.23, 15-Aug-2001 for EXT2 FS 0.5b, 95/08/09
Creating journal inode:
/sbin/tune2fs: Permission denied
        while trying to create journal file