Re: FSCK?

On Sun, Oct 21, 2001 at 12:08:09AM -0400, Steven N. Hirsch wrote:

> You haven't been having any trouble with excessive swap usage under 2.4.9?
> I found it stable, but it did very odd things when left up on my server
> for any length of time.  Almost acted like a kernel memory leak.

Nope.

For a long time --- long before I installed the 2.4 kernels ---- my
machines have all be sized so that if it swaps at *all*, that's a hint
that I should purchase more memory.  (Memory is cheap, and even under
Linux 2.2, memory is a very easy way to optimize performance.)

So with sufficient amounts of memory, the 2.4 swap usage issues simply
haven't been an issue for me.  When USD$ 50 will purchase a 512meg ECC
SDRAM DIMM, there really isn't an excuse not to stuff all of your
boxes to the gills with memory.

(Of course, 2.4 should work well without requiring vast amounts of
memory.... but adding memory really is a very easy way of avoiding the
swap problems, and the overall performance of your system will be much
improved as well.)

						- Ted