Re: Recreate journal after switch between ext2/ext3 ?

On Oct 24, 2001  00:20 +0200, Qing Liu wrote:
> After mounting -t ext2 an ext3 partition, working with,
> do I have to recreate .journal when I remount the
> partition as ext3 ? Thanks !

No.  You can safely mount an ext3 filesystem as ext2 as much as you want,
as long as the ext3 filesystem was cleanly unmounted (empty journal).  If
it is not cleanly unmounted, it will refuse to mount as ext2 until e2fsck
is run on it.

In all cases, the ext3 journal will exist until "tune2fs -O^has_journal"
and e2fsck is run (or if your journal is corrupted and e2fsck removes it).

Cheers, Andreas