Re: Recreate journal after switch between ext2/ext3 ?

Andreas Dilger wrote:

> On Oct 24, 2001  00:20 +0200, Qing Liu wrote:
> > After mounting -t ext2 an ext3 partition, working with,
> > do I have to recreate .journal when I remount the
> > partition as ext3 ? Thanks !
>
> No.  You can safely mount an ext3 filesystem as ext2 as much as you want,
> as long as the ext3 filesystem was cleanly unmounted (empty journal).  If
> it is not cleanly unmounted, it will refuse to mount as ext2 until e2fsck
> is run on it.

OK, thank you both for the responses. Another newbie question:
what .journal contains ?
If I understand well, it is supposed not to be modified
after it is created. I did (somedays ago):

/var/tmp# cp /.journal /var/tmp/journal-orig-hda4
/var/tmp# ls -l /.journal journal-orig-hda4
-rw-------    1 root     root      8388608 Oct 13 00:17 /.journal
-rw-------    1 root     root      8388608 Oct 20 08:20 journal-orig-hda4

and today,

/var/tmp# cmp journal-orig-hda4 /.journal
journal-orig-hda4 /.journal differ: char 27, line 1

So I am a little confused. /.journal was created under linux-2.4.10-ac11
with e2fsprog-1.25.

Liu