Softtware raid for root?

I had been running a system with / as a raid0 array under Redhat 7.1 and the original smp kernel.
Is it advisable to use ext-3 and RedHat 7.2 for a software raid0 root filesystem? I understand 7.2 uses a 2.4.7 kernel. I would like to use the smp kernel as this is a 2 proc. box.

Stuart

I fear that all we have done is to waken a sleeping
giant, and fill him with a terrible
resolve.  -- Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto after the Pearl
Harbor Attack