Re: cdrom driver load attempt at boot

Diego Santa Cruz wrote:
Thanks for paying attention to this problem.

Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:

Hi,

On Mon, Oct 22, 2001 at 02:28:31PM +0200, Diego Santa Cruz wrote:

I've been using ext3 on RedHat 7.1 for some time and I'm very pleased with the result. Thanks for all the hard work people have put in it!

What kernel did you use?

Currently I'm using the latest kernel for RedHat 7.1, which is 2.4.9-6 (the i686 rpm).

I have however one problem: when the machine boots up it tries to load the mcd and mcdx CD-ROM drivers (AFAIK they are old non-standard CD-ROMs). It does this from rc.sysinit right after loading usb devices. The machine started to do this when I converted the root filesystem to ext3, I've never had this problem before.

If you built those drivers into the kernel, then this would happen. Otherwise, you'd be as well looking in /etc/modules.conf to see if something thinks that those drivers are needed.

No, those drivers are built as modules. Something is probably probing some block-major devices, such as block-major-20. I have nothing requesting that in my modules.conf (as far as I can see). Just in case below is a copy of my modules.conf.

I have seen this problem when I boot the laptop with the CD-ROM drive removed (which is almost always). I have not tested what happens when I have the cdrom drive plugged in.

I just tested booting with the CD-ROM drive plugged in its bay. The problem still occurs. Something is requesting the driver for block-major-20 (which is mcdx.o) to be loaded. I don't know how this could be related to ext3, but it started happenning when I converted my root fs to ext3.

Diego

Thanks,

Diego

The modules.conf

# OSS stuff
alias char-major-14 off
alias sound-slot-0 off
alias synth0 off
alias sound-service-0-0 off
alias sound-service-0-1 off
alias sound-service-0-3 off
alias sound-service-0-8 off
alias sound-service-0-11 off
alias sound-service-0-12 off
alias sound-slot-1 off
alias sound-service-1-0 off
alias sound-service-1-1 off
alias sound-service-1-3 off
alias sound-service-1-8 off
alias sound-service-1-11 off
alias sound-service-1-12 off
alias sound-slot-2 off
alias sound-service-2-0 off
alias sound-service-2-1 off
alias sound-service-2-3 off
alias sound-service-2-8 off
alias sound-service-2-11 off
alias sound-service-2-12 off
alias sound-slot-3 off
alias sound-service-3-0 off
alias sound-service-3-1 off
alias sound-service-3-3 off
alias sound-service-3-8 off
alias sound-service-3-11 off
alias sound-service-3-12 off
alias char-major-116 off
alias snd-card-0 off
alias snd-card-1 off
alias snd-card-2 off
alias snd-card-3 off
alias snd-card-4 off

# RH 7.1 config
alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
alias usb-controller usb-uhci

alias char-major-108    ppp_generic
alias /dev/ppp          ppp_generic
alias tty-ldisc-3       ppp_async
alias tty-ldisc-14      ppp_synctty
alias ppp-compress-21   bsd_comp
alias ppp-compress-24   ppp_deflate
alias ppp-compress-26   ppp_deflate

options parport_pc io=0x378 irq=7 dma=3

alias scsi_hostadapter ppa

alias tty-ldisc-11 irtty
alias char-major-161 ircomm-tty

Cheers, Stephen

Diego Santa Cruz                         mailto:Diego Santacruz epfl ch
Signal Processing Laboratory (LTS)        http://ltswww.epfl.ch/~dsanta
Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (EPFL)
EL - Ecublens - CH-1015 Lausanne - Switzerland
Office:     ELE 236
Phone:      +41 - 21 - 693 26 57 (Office)
            +41 - 21 - 693 46 20 (LTS Lab)                 *   *
Fax:        +41 - 21 - 693 76 00                           'O^-'
Mobile:     +41 - 79 - 419 56 71                           ( o )