Re: a bug in ext3 code for 2.4.7

Nikolai Vladychevski wrote:

> As the output I get:
> mtab_writable: could open /etc/passwd with no probs
> mtab_writable: opening file=/etc/mtab
> invalid operand 0000
> CPU: 0
> EIP: 0010:[<c0127304>]
> EFLAGS: 00010082
> Process mount (pid: 41, stackpage=ce355000)

Was there more text associated with this crash?  Please send
it all.

> This only happends with /etc/mtab file, as you can see the file
> /etc/passwd (and many others) open fine. The problem
> ocurrs after using ext3 for a few days and then turning off the machine. I
> also noted that the panic ocurrs only during startup scripts. I am not
> sure if it is called "panic", because kernel is not crashing completely,
> it is just can't mount any more filesystems but is operating.
>
> If I start up the machine and do not mount the damaged filesystem I do not
> get a kernel panic at all when I mount it later, I just can not access
> "mtab" file:
>
> bash-2.04# ls -l mtab
> ls: mtab: Input/output error
> bash-2.04# cd /

I ran your filesystem image through fsck:

akpm-1:/home/akpm> 0 e2fsck -f /dev/loop0
e2fsck 1.22, 22-Jun-2001 for EXT2 FS 0.5b, 95/08/09
Pass 2: Checking directory structure
Entry 'mtab' in / (2) has deleted/unused inode 69.  Clear<y>? no

Pass 3: Checking directory connectivity
Pass 4: Checking reference counts
Pass 5: Checking group summary information
Block bitmap differences:  -4817
Fix<y>? no

Inode bitmap differences:  -69
Fix<y>? no

/dev/loop0: 291/12880 files (1.0% non-contiguous), 6542/51407 blocks

Somehow, the inode number for /etc/mtab (which is held in the directory)
has been set to a bad value: 69.  fsck will be able to repair this.

Current ext3 simply complains about the inode (IO error) and keeps
going OK.

> Now, I don't know, maybe this problem has been fixed already? I just can't
> move to the lastest kernel right now. Is it possible to update 2.4.7 with
> the lastest ext3 sources? How can I do this?

I'd like to know exactly what the panic is beofre saying.  But
unfortunately a lot of header files changed between 2.4.7
and current.  Also things like the quota API and memory allocation
masks.   It'd be a lot of work to make recent ext3 work on 2.4.7.