inode limit ?

Hello,
I'm using a defualt everything install of 7.2 (kernel 2.4.7-10 #1) with a 27 gig ext3 / partition. The problem that I am experiencing is this: If I create more than (about) 3.5 million distinct files on the partition, touch, mkdir, cp and all other file creation methods complain that there is no available space on the disk. A df shows me that the partition is only 65% full. If I delete one of the files, I am able to grow one new file that actually fills the several gigs of available disk, but if I try to create two files I get the same behavior (no available space).

I tried this on an install that used ext2 but was in all other ways exactly the same, and received the same behavior, which leads me to believe it's a kernel limitation, not a problem with the filesystem.

In the 2.2 kernel there was a way to adjust the max-inodes at runtime by adjusting the values in /proc/sys/fs/max-inodes file, but I don't see this file with the 2.4.7-10 kernel that shipped with 7.2 (and I can't create it, even as root). Is there a way to adjust these values at runtime, or do I need to recompile or upgrade the kernel?

I apologize if this isn't the correct place for this question, I didn't see a place to post that was more suitable.

Thanks,
 Douglas