Re: inode limit ?

Douglas Brunton wrote:
> 27 gig ext3 / partition.  The problem that I am experiencing
> is this:  If I create more than (about) 3.5 million distinct
> files on the partition, touch, mkdir, cp and all other file
> creation methods complain that there is no available space on
> the disk.

Let's see here, 27GB w/1 node per 8KB (default) = 3.5M inodes.

Sounds like normal operation to me.  ;-PPP

> A df shows me that the partition is only 65% full.

What does "df -i" give you?  That lists inodes free.  I have run
into cases where /var was only 37% full, but 100% inodes were used.

> I tried this on an install that used ext2 but was in all
> other ways exactly the same, and received the same behavior,
> which leads me to believe it's a kernel limitation, not a
> problem with the filesystem.

Or, again, normal operation.

> In the 2.2 kernel there was a way to adjust the max-inodes
> at runtime by adjusting the values in /proc/sys/fs/max-inodes
> file, but I don't see this file with the 2.4.7-10 kernel that
> shipped with 7.2 (and I can't create it, even as root).

I was under the impression that on Ext2 (and Ext3), inodes were
pre-allocated?  And you must specify additional inodes as
mkfs-time???

I assume any /proc/sys/fs/max-inodes value may be the maximum number
the kernel could handle over all filesystems period???

> Is there a way to adjust these values at runtime, or do I
> need to recompile or upgrade the kernel?

I think your filesystem needs to be reformatted with additional
inodes.  Unless, of course, newer Ext2/Ext3 versions can re-allocate
them?  [ Note, I'm just another user and don't understand much about
the underlying filesystems ]

-- TheBS

--
Bryan "TheBS" Smith    mailto:b j smith ieee org   chat:thebs413
Engineer  AbsoluteValue Systems, Inc.  http://www.linux-wlan.org