ext3 kernel 2.4.13

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the list and I hope I'm not repeating something that was
already asked for.

I had been using the stock kernel that came with Mandrake 8.1  which is
kernel 2.4.8-26mdk   (not sure what things are applied to a stock 2.4.8)

I have my root partition /dev/hda1 on ext3   Mandrake took care of all
this, by putting the ext3 module in initrd.

I just dl'ed 2.4.13 and applied the patches at
http://www.uow.edu.au/~andrewm/linux/ext3/  (ext3-2.4-0.9.13-2413.gz)

recompiled and had ext3 as a module and put in JBD debugging support.

put the new kernel up on lilo, and put the jbd.o and ext3.o in the new
initrd /lib directory

Things boot up fine, until initrd tries to mount /dev/hda1 as new root
I get the following

Journaled Block Device loaded
Mounting /proc filesystem
hda1: bad access:  block=2, count=2
end_request: I/O error, dev 03:01(hda), sector 2
EXT3-fs: unable to read superblock
mount: error 22 mounting ext3 flags.  Freeing unused kernel mem=236k freed
Kernel panic: no init found. Try passing init= option to kernel

any ideas?   fsck on that filesystem shows no problems.  ANd I'm using the
machine right now back with the older kernel.  Thanks for any help in
advance.  And if I can produce better debugging, please let me know how.

Oguzhan Eris