Re: Ext3 partition not appearing in df output

Martin Eriksson wrote:

> This is propably your problem. When root filesystem is auto, it will also
> list this in /etc/mtab, making df think that your root FS is a dummy FS. Try
> "df -ha" instead.

Ah.  Good one.

> This needs to be fixed, as it propably is an Ext3 problem.

It's not an ext3 problem, but I'm not sure who to blame.

- /etc/fstab lists the root fs as being type `auto'
- SOmeone (presumably mount(8)) copies that fstype into /etc/mtab
- `df', for some reason, doesn't report on `auto' filesystems
  unless given the -a option.  I wonder what the reasoning
  is behind this?

Now, mount(8) _could_ take a look in /proc/mounts, and resolve
the `auto' type when creating /etc/mtab.

But the easy fix is to change the /etc/fstab entry for the root
filesystem to "ext3".  This propagates to /etc/mtab and everything
works.   I'll update the documentation.