Re: ext3 patch does not want to gunzip

William Boyle wrote:

> I seem to have a problem with compiling the kernel 2.4.13 on redhat 7.2?
> It would compile fine but have errors about ext3 support on reboot.
> I download ext3-2.4-0.9.13-2413.gz to my linux machine to enable it be
> useful with ext3 support but when I try to gunzip it with the instructions
>
> gunzip < ~/ext3-2.4-0.9.13-2413.gz | patch -p1 i get gunzip: stdin: not in gzip format
>
> I get an error. I wonder if you know a way to fix this problem or apply
> the patch to the kernel so I may use it.

My guess would be that the web browser you used to download the patch
automatically ungzipped it for you, but stupidly did not change the name
to match. Try

    less ~/ext3-2.4-0.9.13-2413.gz

and see if you get a screen of readable text; if so, the file is not
compressed, and you can just hit "q" to exit less. Otherwise, less will
probably say, "File may be binary", in which case you can just reply N
when it asks if you want to view it anyway.

If the file turns out to be uncompressed, then

    patch -p1 < ~/ext3-2.4-0.9.13-2413.gz

should apply the patch.

Craig