Re: a silly question

On Oct 30, 2001  14:54 +0800, Mark M. Barrios wrote:
> 	just wondering... if i upgrade my kernel + ext3 patch, do i have
> to recreate the journal? if so (or if not) how do i recreate it?

No, unless you were a very early ext3 adopter (2.2 + ext3-0.0.5 or so),
there has not been a journal change.  Even then, the old journal format
is forward compatible with the new journal format, so no need to rebuilt
it.

> i tried to delete the .journal, reboot and mounting everything as ext2

Don't do that.

> do a tune2fs -j /dev/hdxx but it say "The filesystem already has a journal."

Run e2fsck on it first, it will detect that you made a large effort to
circumvent all attempts we made to prevent people from deleting the
journal.  Then run tune2fs on the unmounted filesystems to create the
journal again.

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger