Re: Ext3 partition not appearing in df output

On 30 Oct, Martin Eriksson wrote:
> So I believe we have two possibilities:
> 1) Fix kernel mounting
> or
> 2) Fix remounting

3) Fix 'mount' program ?

Why, in the first place, is /etc/mtab the authoritative source for what
filesystems are currently mounted?  Why doesn't 'mount' get the list
from the kernel - i.e., read /proc/mounts instead of /etc/mtab?

On a similar note, why is the root filesystem listed in /proc/mounts as
'/dev/root', instead of the actual device name (/dev/hda1 or whatever)?

--
     -Matt Stegman