A question about compiling the kernel with ext3 support

Hi,

I am trying to compile the kernel with ext3 support and i downloaded the 2.4.13 kernel and patched it for RH 7.2 to update from the 2.4.7 precompiled  ext3fs kernel.
Then i selected ext3 support and and the JBD debugging support under 'make xconfig.' Then i ran the following commands

make clean
make dep
make bzImage
make modules
make modules_install
cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinux-2.4.13
cd /boot
mkinitrd initrd-2.4.13.img 2.4.13
and then editted the /etc/grub.conf file to reflect the new partition

but when i reboot i have some trouble booting into the new kernel, most likely that the
kernel does not mount the ext3 fs. It comes back with mounting the ext2fs and gives me an error in the
module loading section that ext3fs is not supported in the kernel and locks on system logged. I know that i am probably missing some keen step to making this work
and would like any suggestions on how to go about compiling the kernel correctly to make the ext3fs mounted and the journal to show up as well.

Thanks
Will