Re: Ext3 partition not appearing in df output

> If you look at it from a big-picture perspective, I suspect
> mount may be a better place to put it than some other alternatives,
> even if this means that we need to make mount "smarter", or contain
> more filesystem specific gunk.
> (For example, some operating systems
> actually have mount be a dispatch wrapper program like fsck, and all
> of the filesystem-specific options parsing code for NFS, etc., are
> contained in fs-specific programs: mount.nfs, mount.ufs, etc.)

Ted, it seems that you do not understand the problem.
The problem is that if I give you a binary mess, you cannot decide
with certainty what type of filesystem this is supposed to be.
You can only invent some more or less successful heuristics.

If the user refuses to tell mount a type, then mount has to guess.

Andries