Re: Ext3 partition not appearing in df output

> Am I right that the kernel _already_ makes use of heuristics

Yes, true. And already it has happened that a filesystem
was destroyed as a consequence.

The correct setup does not involve any guessing.

If you build a large, complicated system, with many layers
of software, and everything is almost always correct, then
the entire system will regularly crash.

So, this guessing of the kernel will go away.
We want to remove guessing, not add more.

Andries