Re: Ext3 partition not appearing in df output

On Tue, 30 Oct 2001 15:26:57 -0600 (CST)
"Matt Stegman" <matts ksu edu> wrote:

> On 30 Oct, Martin Eriksson wrote:
> > So I believe we have two possibilities:
> > 1) Fix kernel mounting

Kernel mounting should not modify any files (and even cannot if root is mounted r/o).

> > or
> > 2) Fix remounting
>
> 3) Fix 'mount' program ?
>
> Why, in the first place, is /etc/mtab the authoritative source for what
> filesystems are currently mounted?  Why doesn't 'mount' get the list
> from the kernel - i.e., read /proc/mounts instead of /etc/mtab?

Exactly!  It seems that the "Right Way To Go" is to fill /etc/mtab using the information that _already exists_ in the kernel.  Which has nothing to do with analyzing superblocks and using heuristics.

Although using /proc/mounts is not an option because procfs may be absent in the kernel or not mounted at the moment when mount(8) is invoked.

Eugene