Re: converted ext2->ext3 root won't mount on boot as ext3

On Sep 04, 2001  00:44 -0400, Ian! D. Allen [NCFreeNet] wrote:
> Kernel 2.4.8 on an Athlon 500.
> e2fsprogs-1.23
> ext3 compiled as a module.
>
> I created an initrd using mkinitrd; mkinitrd included jbd.o and ext3.o
> as well as the scsi modules for my tape drive and CDROM.  (My disks are
> all IDE.)  When booting with that initrd, jbd.o and then ext3.o load
> just before the above VFS message.  "cat /proc/mounts" shows root is
> still ext2.  I tried adding "rw" to the grub boot line; that caused
> the boot to die in fsck being unable to check the root.

You need to verify that the initrd tries to mount the root fs as ext3.
If it is leaving it up to the kernel/mount, then because ext3 is a module
it will be checked after ext2 (see order in /proc/filesystems).  You
need to explicitly give "mount -t ext3 <dev> /" to mount it.

Cheers, Andreas