Re: [e2fsprogs-1.24] "fsck -A -a" fails on reboot

On Sep 05, 2001  11:57 +0800, Wenzhuo Zhang wrote:
> The problem is that e2fsck in e2fsck-1.24 no longer takes into account
> whether /etc/mtab is writable or not; whenever it finds an mounted entry
> in /etc/mtab (/proc not mounted yet at this time), it assumes it's
> already mounted, even though the system has just experienced a crash. I
> think the mtab checking code in older version of e2fsck is still needed:

Mount /proc before checking your non-root filesystems, and it will work.

I suppose for the sake of kernels that don't have /proc (is it even
possible?) that this could be fixed, but then you are still at risk
of damaging your filesystems if one of them IS mounted.

Cheers, Andreas