Changing root journal data mode

Hi,

I'm running 2.4.9-ac7 with ext3 compiled in, and I ran across this problem.
Now that I look back, it makes sence, but it wasn't obvious at first...

I wanted to change the journal mode on my / partition, so I changed my fstab
to:

/dev/hda1 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro,data=journal 0 1

as well as several other partitions, and rebooted.

After rebooting I had a read only / that I couldn't remount rw, and couldn't
edit /etc/fstab without a boot disk.

After scrolling up, I found output from mount saying to the affect "Can't
change journal mode while mounted".

I can try to reproduce the error if you need the exact error message.  While
I understand why this is happening, it wasn't very easy to recover, and I
didn't have any idea it would error out like that.

I guess there would be a kernel boot option to change the journal mode for
/, but I haven't taken the time to look yet...

Does it look like this will change, or are things staying like this?

Mike