Ext3, quotas and 2.2.19

It sounds like there are some folks successfully running 2.4.X-ac kernels with quotas and ext3. Is there a solution for 2.2.19? I saw Stephen's post about the possible deadlock but that sounds like a corner case. I am not able to get quotas going on ext3 at all.

The box in question is 2.2.19 with ext3 0.0.7a and latest quota tools from sourceforge. When I do a quotaon or quotacheck I get an invalid argument. If I reboot the system with that filesystem as ext2 it works fine so the quota.user file is OK etc. Any magic to get this to work? I am using version 1 quotas is it required to use version 2?

Thanks in advance,

RW