Re: [e2fsprogs-1.24] "fsck -A -a" fails on reboot

On Sep 07, 2001  01:24 +0200, Michael Renner wrote:
> I solved this problem the "dirty" way, excerpt from rc.S follows:
>
> /sbin/fsck -C -a /
> /sbin/mount -w -v -n -o remount /
> >/etc/mtab
> /sbin/fsck -C -R -A -a
> /sbin/mount -a -v -t nonfs
> /sbin/mount -f /
>
> The last mount just creates the (already mounted) entry for the /
> partition in the mtab. Funny thing is that at least suse/redhat
> bootupscripts have 2 fscks (root/all other partitions), just slackware
> hasn't upgraded their bootupscripts (yet)...

I don't think it is an issue with a multi-stage fsck (I may be wrong).
Running fsck _should_ do root first if it is pass 1, and others as pass 2.

> btw. does anybody know why the mtab sanity checks were removed from
> e2fsck?

Because I changed it to check /proc/mounts first specifically to avoid
mistakes when /etc/mtab is wrong.  However, the current behaviour is
still an error, but was not detected because all of the e2fsprogs developers
use a "sane" startup script.  Yes, I used to use slackware years ago too,
but pretty much everyone else has gone to SysV startup scripts.

There is no reason why they can't mount /proc before fsck either.  In fact,
you _need_ /proc mounted to do mount-by-label and mount-by-uuid.

Cheers, Andreas