Re: [e2fsprogs-1.24] "fsck -A -a" fails on reboot

On Fri, 7 Sep 2001, Theodore Tso wrote:

> Ah, OK.  People have been really bad about giving me bug reports.  OK,
> so the problem is Slackware's boot scripts.  It *should* be doing one
> of two things after checking the root filesystem:
>
> (a) Remounting the root filesystem read-write, and then making
> 	/etc/mtab sane.
>
> (b) Mounting /proc

ack. (sorry for the confusion, english isn't my mother tongue and i hardly
ever have a chance to improve my english skills :P)

> You can do either one of these things.  Most distributions do one or
> the other; some do both.  I didn't anticipate that a distribution
> could be quite that stupid to not do either.

well it had worked before that way, keep it small i would say... that
extra 'mount -n /proc' are another wasted 15 bytes in the bootupscript =)
*just kidding*

> The next question then is whether I want to work around this, or
> simply tell Slackware users to file a bug with their distribution.....

i forwarded this mail with some examples to support slackware org    i
hope they will do something about it.

> Fundamentally, there's nothing I can do about this.  If /etc/mtab
> isn't accurate, and /proc is present, there's no way I can tell
> whether or not a particular partition is mounted read-write or
> read-only.  It's possible that the root could be mounted read-only,
> but other filesystems are mounted read-write.  So the blanket check
> that was in older e2fsprogs really was a dangerous thing.

what about creating/deleting a file on the fs (is that the blanket
check?); shouldn't (<- evil word!) be that dangerous at all, or am i wrong
here?

> If I put in the workaround at all, it will be as a configure option:
>
> 	--enable-dangerous-workaround-for-stupid-distributions

that surely will look neat in a ./configure --help :)

greetz michael