Re: Serious problem, argh...

On Sun, Sep 09, 2001 at 10:37:40AM -0400, buggz wrote:

> e2fsck 1.24a (02-Sep-2001)
> External journal has multiple filesystem users (unsupported).
>
> I got my / partition corrected by installing on another boxen and doing
> this:
> debugfs
> open -f -w /dev/sda1
> features -has_journal -needs_recovery
> quit

OK, you *should* be able to recover by using the followwing command:

debugfs -w /dev/sdXXX
set_super_value journal_inum 0
set_super_value journal_dev 0
quit

In general, you should *not* be using debugfs to turn off journaling
on your filesystems.  Use "tune2fs -O ^has_journal <filesystem>"
instead.  It's much safer, and it will do all of the right things to
properly unregister the journal.  It's not a good idea to use debugfs
to do so manually unless you *really* know what you are doing.  (It
used to be necessary while e2fsprogs didn't have full journaling
support, and I'm guessing that you were reading old documentation that
still talked about using debugfs as the way to disable journaling on a
filesystem.)

The fact you were getting this message on your filesystems implies
that you either (a) used used the external journal feature by
accident, without realizing it, or (b) the journal was corrupted in
such a way that e2fsprogs thought that there were multiple users of an
internal journal.  I'm not sure which it was, but if you could send me
the output of dumpe2fs on the affected filesystems before you use the
above debugfs commands to clear the journal_inum and journal_dev
fields, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!!

						- Ted