Re: [e2fsprogs-1.24] "fsck -A -a" fails on reboot

On Sep 10, 2001  16:39 +0100, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 07, 2001 at 07:18:56PM -0400, Theodore Tso wrote:
> > Ah, OK.  People have been really bad about giving me bug reports.  OK,
> > so the problem is Slackware's boot scripts.  It *should* be doing one
> > of two things after checking the root filesystem:
>
> OK, but what exactly changed in e2fsprogs which suddenly broke the
> slackware initscripts?

Basically, the old code would only check /etc/mtab to see if a device
was mounted.  If /etc/mtab was read-only then it was ignored.  This
meant that if you mount / read-only, but other filesystems read-write
you could merrily fsck them without any warning.

The new code checks /proc first, and failing that it trusts /etc/mtab
to say if a filesystem is mounted.  Either you need to mount /proc,
or clear out /etc/mtab to get fsck to work (or manual e2fsck -f will
probably also work).  There are special checks for whether / is mounted
r/o or r/w.  This avoids the possibility of clobbering a mounted
filesystem with e2fsck.

Cheers, Andreas