Re: moving from 2.2 to 2.4

On Sep 10, 2001  10:52 -0500, Nick Bellomy wrote:
> I began testing ext3 w/ a 2.2.19 patched kernel several months ago.
> I'm now wanting to move to a new 2.4 kernel w/ ext3 and was wondering if
> there was any reason to create a new journal file.  Also I noticed that
> the oldstyle journal files are named "journal.dat" and now they are named
> ".journal".  Any suggestions for upgrading?

Nothing to be changed - the journal formats are the same, unless you have
the _very_ old v1 journal format, in which case you will either need to
mount with "-o journal=update" one time, or live with data=journal mode
(which will be automatically selected, as it is the only supported method
with v1 journal formats).

I'm not sure whether "dumpe2fs -h" will tell you the journal version or not.
However, if you mount the filesystem without any data= option, and it says
"using journal data mode" then it is a v1 journal.

Cheers, Andreas