Re: Serious problem, argh...

On Mon, Sep 10, 2001 at 09:16:51AM -0400, Shirish Hemant Phatak wrote:

>  I noticed that ext3 filesystems formatted with very old versions (> 6-8
> months) of mke2fs/tune2fs  exhibit this problem with the newer e2fsck tools.
> I have seen identical error messages even though there was no way these
> filesystems were using external journal devices. Maybe older tools had a bug
> or were setting fields that should not have been set while creating the
> journal? My solution was to drop the journal using tune2fs, fsck the
> filesystem and then re-add the journal.

Thanks for the tip; I'll try checking out older versions of e2fsprogs
from the Bitkeeper repository and see if I can replicate the problem.
Would you happen to remember what version number of mke2fs you were
using at the time?  And do you remember whether the journal created
using the old dd + magic mount option (so the kernel created the
journal), or via the first generation of e2fsprogs tools which created
an ext2/3 filesystem with a journal?

Any additional information would be very helpful.  Thanks!!

							- Ted