Why is .journal file sometimes visible and sometimes not?

Hi.

I recently migrated two machines from ext2 to ext3. Kernels (nearly
identical) are 2.4.9-ac9 + preemptivity-patch + wrr-patch. The Installations
are based on Mandrake 7.2 + 8.0. Also I have e2fstools-1.23 newly compiled on
them. Both machines have two ext3 partitions (root + multimedia-data). On one
machine I see a .journal file on both partitions, on the other machine
(Mandrake-8.0) it's only visible on the root-partition. Journalling works
flawlessly and 'cat /proc/mounts' shows ext3 for all. What does this
inconsistency mean?

Marcus