Re: Why is .journal file sometimes visible and sometimes not?

On Wednesday 19 September 2001 09:37, Ed McKenzie wrote:
> Marcus,
>
> tune2fs tries to create a hidden journal file whenever possible.  If
> a filesystem is mounted, though, doing so is apparently unsafe, and
> tune2fs creates a .journal file instead.  The two "modes" are
> functionally equivalent as far as I can tell.

This was an interesting tidbit.  I never thought to ask about visible
journal files, thought they always were.  I am assuming I could unmount
a partition, convert it to ext2 and then back to ext3 and the journal
would then become hidden.  I have a test system I'll be doing that with
shortly..

--

The Universal Joint - Connecting Unix, Linux, and that other OS ....
                    Operated by Linux user #201684