Re: Fwd: Re: Define conflict between ext3 and raid patches against 2.2.19

On Thu, Sep 20, 2001 at 11:08:37AM +0100, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Sep 19, 2001 at 07:44:20PM -0400, Bill Rugolsky Jr. wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 19, 2001 at 04:36:04PM -0700, Mike Fedyk wrote:
> > > I don't know exactly what large-scale effects this might have.  It
> > > could be simply that a crash at the wrong time could leave the
> > > filesystem corrupted.  But I heard of one person who claimed to get
> > > filesystem corruption after using reiserfs over RAID1 in 2.2, so maybe
> > > it's worse than that.
> >
> > IIRC, if you disable the background rebuild, and do rebuilds manually on
> > unmounted partitions, you will be OK with RAID1 (but not RAID5).
>
> On 2.2, that should be OK, but what's the point?  You lose the cost of
> a reboot but have to wait for a rebuild instead, and the rebuild is
> often even longer.
>
> I'm just using 2.4 everywhere now, and that runs just fine.

Yep, 2.4 has been fine on x86 for me.  Though, I'm going to be needing this
on PPC also.

Is there a test suite that is particularly stressful on raid{1,5}?  Though
I'm primarily looking to stress raid1, I'm going to test with software
raid5 soon...

Mike