Re: part of files in another file after crash

On Sep 24, 2001  19:52 +0200, Guenther Starnberger wrote:
> the problem is that after 3 crashes at startup, when my notebook finally
> worked i got the msg:
>
> Sep 23 23:29:17 blackbox kernel: EXT3-fs warning (device ide0(3,3)):
> ext3_clear_journal_err: detected journal error -5 from previous mount
> Sep 23 23:29:17 blackbox kernel: EXT3-fs: ide0(3,3): orphan cleanup on
> readonly fs
> Sep 23 23:29:17 blackbox kernel: ext3_orphan_cleanup: deleting unreferenced
> inode 97540
> Sep 23 23:29:17 blackbox kernel: ext3_orphan_cleanup: deleting unreferenced
> inode 97538
> Sep 23 23:29:17 blackbox kernel: EXT3-fs: ide0(3,3): 2 orphan inodes deleted
>
> the problem is that if found a part of my dpkg package list in my motd and
> the first line of the motd in my resolv.conf :/ (i haven't found any other
> corrupted files yet)
>
> if ext3 detects a journal error - why does it still use the journal (it did a
> fsck after the recovering)?

Hmm, I don't know.  I have never seen a journal error.  In this case, -5
means EIO (input/output error).  Stephen will know the most about the
error handling (he wrote it).

> why are files corrupted which i don't edit very often (motd, the dpkg list, i
> changed the resolv.conf before the crashes).
>
> i am using ext3-2.4-0.9.6-249.gz

What kernel are you using, and which version of e2fsck?  Also which journal
mode do you use (data=ordered (default), data=writeback, data=journal)?

Cheers, Andreas