Re: part of files in another file after crash

On Mon, Sep 24, 2001 at 07:52:08PM +0200, Guenther Starnberger wrote:
> the problem is that after 3 crashes at startup, when my notebook finally
> worked i got the msg:
>
> Sep 23 23:29:17 blackbox kernel: EXT3-fs warning (device ide0(3,3)):
> ext3_clear_journal_err: detected journal error -5 from previous mount
> Sep 23 23:29:17 blackbox kernel: EXT3-fs: ide0(3,3): orphan cleanup on
> readonly fs
> Sep 23 23:29:17 blackbox kernel: ext3_orphan_cleanup: deleting unreferenced
> inode 97540
> Sep 23 23:29:17 blackbox kernel: ext3_orphan_cleanup: deleting unreferenced
> inode 97538
> Sep 23 23:29:17 blackbox kernel: EXT3-fs: ide0(3,3): 2 orphan inodes deleted
>
> if ext3 detects a journal error - why does it still use the journal
> (it did a fsck after the recovering)?

The kernel message is a little misleading (Stephen, we should fix
that).  What it means is that the kernel noticed a problem in the
filesystem on a previous mount, but since it can't necessarily
guarantee that a modification to the superblock will get flushed to
disk, it writes an indication of a filesystem error in the journal
superblock.  When the filesystem is mounted or fsck'ed (assuming the
use of a reasonably modern e2fsprogs), the error condition in the
journal superblock is propagated t o the EXT2_ERROR_FS bit in the ext3
superblock.

So the journal is still valid, and in fact you really do want to run
the journal before running fsck to recover the filesystem.

> why are files corrupted which i don't edit very often (motd, the
> dpkg list, i changed the resolv.conf before the crashes).

Well, ext2 and ext3 don't modify or move files that haven't been
changed, so the only explanation is some kind of hardware error (which
might be also causing the filesystem corruption), or some process you
didn't know about actually has modified the dpkg list and/or the motd
file.  For example, with many distributions the motd file is edited so
that the first line contains the kernel version of the current booted
kernel; so the boot scripts do modify motd.

							- Ted