Re: not mounting ext3, 2.4.10

Hi,

On Tue, Sep 25, 2001 at 02:47:41AM -0400, Andy MacNamara wrote:

> I just attempted to convert my only partition, /, to ext3. I downloaded
> the patch and compiled the kernel with ext3 support built-in, along with
> the JBD Debugging support. Compiled the kernel and rebooted, everything
> was fine.

A major change to the VFS in 2.4.10 (sigh, don't talk to me about
the wisdom of doing architectural rewrites of core vfs code in the
middle of a stable kernel series) broke tune2fs on mounted
filesystems.

You can either go down to an earlier kernel, or you can try mounting
the root filesystem readonly, create the journal, sync, and then do a
forced reboot without mounting the fs read-write.  That should stop
the kernel filesystem code from overwriting the job done by tune2fs.