Re: not mounting ext3, 2.4.10

On Tue, Sep 25, 2001 at 02:45:20AM -0400, Andy MacNamara wrote:
> Did a tune2fs -j /dev/hda2 on the partition in single-user mode, with
> e2fsprogs 1.24a. It complained about not having enough space, or something
> like that, (I have 7.6GB free on a 40GB drive.) However, it seemed to work
> ok and it created a /.journal file about 32MB in size. I changed my
> /etc/fstab to read ext3 instead of ext2 for the root partition, and
> rebooted. However, I got:
> VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem) readonly.
> mount showed the partition as ext3, but when I did a cat /proc/mounts (as
> I saw suggested in the archives), it read as ext2.
>
> I changed the FS type to auto in /etc/fstab and rebooted, but that didn't
> work. I tried removing the journal file with rm /.journal, and that gave
> me
> rm: cannot unlink `/.journal': Operation not permitted

You cannot create an ext3 journal with 2.4.10 kernel.  You need to boot
into an older kernel (even one without ext3 support) to run "tune2fs -j"
to create the journal.  If "tune2fs -l" does NOT show journal information
at the end, but you have a .journal file, you need to delete it with
"chattr -i .journal; rm .journal" BEFORE running "tune2fs -j"

Cheers, Andreas