Re: Reverting to etx2???

On Wed, Sep 26, 2001 at 01:36:03PM -0600, Andreas Dilger wrote:
> On Sep 26, 2001  14:49 -0400, Robert Tilley wrote:
> > I am in the odd situation of needing to revert my root partition back to
> > ext2 so that it may be resized.
> >
> > I prefer to use Partition Magic at the moment and it can only work with
> > partitions of ext2, not ext3.  I believe that the documentation for ext3
> > exists at the main web site, http://www.uow.edu.au/~andrewm/linux/ext3/.
>
> Note that resize2fs (part of e2fsprogs) is the same program that is used
> by PM to resize ext2 partitions.  e2fsprogs > 1.20 or so will be able to
> resize ext3 partitions as well.

The one caveat of resize2fs is that it doesn't manipulate the
partition table; it only changes the filesystem itself.  So you have
to use fdisk to manually change the size of the partition either
before or after running resize2fs, depending on whether you are
enlarging or shriking the partition.

So if you do want to use Partition Magic, the way to do revert the
filesystem back to ext2 is:

	tune2fs -O ^has_journal /dev/XXXX

... with the filesystem unmounted, of course.

						- Ted