Re: ext3 problem on recover...

On Sep 27, 2001  12:56 -0400, Charles Duncan wrote:
> when I issue the mount command I get:
>
> /dev/hda1 on / type ext3 (rw,errors=remount-ro,errors=remount-ro)
> proc on /proc type proc (rw)
> devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
> /dev/hdb1 on /home/charles/z type ext3 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
>
> but when I cat the /proc/mounts file I get:
>
> /dev/root / ext2 rw 0 0
> proc /proc proc rw 0 0
> devpts /dev/pts devpts rw 0 0
> /dev/hdb1 /home/charles/z ext3 rw 0 0
>
> ?? not sure why it goes to ext2 on the /dev/root
>
> also when I go to recover it goes back to a ext2
> mount for my root partition, and takes forever to
> fix.

What is in /etc/mtab (i.e. output from "mount") only shows what is in
/etc/fstab.  What is in /proc/mounts is the REAL mount type of the
root filesystem (because /etc/fstab isn't even available at the time
the root fs is mounted).  This means to me that either you didn't
re-create the ext3 journal under 2.4.x (x != 10) kernel, or you don't
have ext3 compiled into the kernel.

Cheers, Andreas