permission denied while trying to create journal file

Something bad must have happened when I first ran e2fstune on my root file
system.  Now I cannot mount it ext3 and when I try to run tune2fs -j on it, I
get this error message:

    permission denied while trying to create journal file

There is a .journal file in /:

    [root monster log]# ls -l /.journal
    -rw-------    1 root     root     33554432 Sep 29 10:21 /.journal

But dumpe2fs doesn't seem to know about it:

    Filesystem features:      filetype sparse_super

What to do?