Re: permission denied while trying to create journal file

On Sat, Sep 29, 2001 at 11:18:24AM -0400, John Ruttenberg wrote:

> Something bad must have happened when I first ran e2fstune on my root file
> system.  Now I cannot mount it ext3 and when I try to run tune2fs -j on it, I
> get this error message:
>
>     permission denied while trying to create journal file
>
> There is a .journal file in /:
>
>     [root monster log]# ls -l /.journal
>     -rw-------    1 root     root     33554432 Sep 29 10:21 /.journal

It's probably immutable, which would explain why tune2fs can't modify /
overwrite it. Try

# lsattr /.journal

to see if it is, if so chattr(1) can remove the immutable flag.

--
PGP signed or encrypted mail preferred, key ID 0x68383A73  *  Please *do* Cc: