Re: permission denied while trying to create journal file

Steve Dodd:
> On Sat, Sep 29, 2001 at 11:18:24AM -0400, John Ruttenberg wrote:
>
> > Something bad must have happened when I first ran e2fstune on my root file
> > system.  Now I cannot mount it ext3 and when I try to run tune2fs -j on it, I
> > get this error message:
> >
> >     permission denied while trying to create journal file

Well, on thinking about this a little, I hope what I did is safe.  Here is
what I did:

    1. boot from rescue disk
    2. mount other disk containing statically linked version of tune2fs
    3. tune2fs -j /dev/hda1
    4. reboot to full linux

My concern is that there already was this immutable .journal file on
/dev/hda1.  tune2fs seemed to work in the context of the rescue system.  But
I'm concerned that it won't have done exactly the right thing.  The date given
for /.journal after reboot is yesterday, not today.