Re: Re: RE:Re: RE:How to decide mode and journal size?

On Wed, 2002-04-03 at 11:21, Andreas Dilger wrote:
[snip]
>  Note that it is possible for the entire
> journal to be pinned in memory, so if you make the journal too large,
> you may have memory problems.

Interesting point!

How is this affected if there are several ext3 filesystems mounted? Can
all journals be resident in memory at a time?

I have 5 ext3 filesystems, 4 of them with a 32MB journal, and one with a
1MB journal (small /boot partition). Does this mean that I can have 129
MB of memory used by the ext3 journals?

Since this is a laptop (256 MB) and normally there is not that much fs
activity (although sometimes I do really stress it), is it advisable to
reduce the journal size to avoid the above problem (if it is a problem
that is)?

Best,

Diego

Diego Santa Cruz
PhD. student
Publications available at http://ltswww.epfl.ch/~dsanta
Signal Processing Institute (ITS) -- formerly LTS
Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (EPFL)
EPFL - STI - ITS, CH-1015 Lausanne, Switzerland
E-mail:     Diego SantaCruz epfl ch
Phone:      +41 - 21 - 693 26 57
Fax:        +41 - 21 - 693 76 00