Re: RE:Re: RE:How to decide mode and journal size?

On Wed, 2002-04-03 at 14:40, Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 03, 2002 at 02:23:01PM +0200, Diego SANTA CRUZ wrote:
>
> > Interesting point!
> >
> > How is this affected if there are several ext3 filesystems mounted? Can
> > all journals be resident in memory at a time?
>
> The journal is NOT in memory. That would make little sense in case of
> a crash, would it?

Of course the journal is not *only* in memory and is always written to
disk, but it could very well be that an image of it is in memory. At
least I would expect that an equivalent representation for part of the
journal is resident in memory to speed things up.

Diego

Diego Santa Cruz
PhD. student
Publications available at http://ltswww.epfl.ch/~dsanta
Signal Processing Institute (ITS) -- formerly LTS
Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (EPFL)
EPFL - STI - ITS, CH-1015 Lausanne, Switzerland
E-mail:     Diego SantaCruz epfl ch
Phone:      +41 - 21 - 693 26 57
Fax:        +41 - 21 - 693 76 00