NFS sync options

I'm trying to configure my new nfs server to be fast & reliable and I
have questions on the su=ync option. The server is rh7.2, scsi disks are
ext3 on LVM.

What is the difference between spec'ing sync in the server & in the
client? Does having either one give the same effect? Would having sync
configured at both ends be a problem?

So far it's been running great, just doing some final tweaks here.

Thanks.

--
toby