Re: Kernel Panic

Hi,

I appears you are using initrd to boot and the new root file system being changed to does not have /sbin/init (sysvinit) of /bin/sh. This messages comes from init/main.c in the kernel. See below. Fix the rootfs.
Else send more information on compile options, command, environment and somebody might be able to help

Amit

	if (execute_command)
		execve(execute_command,argv_init,envp_init);
	execve("/sbin/init",argv_init,envp_init);
	execve("/etc/init",argv_init,envp_init);
	execve("/bin/init",argv_init,envp_init);
	execve("/bin/sh",argv_init,envp_init);
	panic("No init found.  Try passing init= option to kernel.");

liz lyns wrote:
I have just installed Redhat 7.2 on a P3 with adaptec 2400A IDE RAID. After
many attempts with the partitions, I have finally managed to install but not
get the following error on boot:

creatig root device
mounting root filesystem
error mounting ext3
pivotroot:pivot_root(/sysroot,/sysroot/initrd)failed:2
freeing unused kernel memory :220k freed
kernel panic: no init found. try passing init=option to kernel

as I am not a linux expert by any streatch of the imagination, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Grant Lyons