hardware or software bug?

I had the following spat out by syslog on my (2.4.18-pre7-ac3) mailer /
web server:

Assertion failure in do_get_write_access() at transaction.c:611: "!(((jh2bh(jh))->b_state & (1UL << BH_Lock)) != 0)"

One of its partitions froze hard--I've rebooted it, and I have an oops
which the BUG() triggered which won't decode at the moment, but I'll sort
that one out overnight. (It didn't make it to the filesystem, but I
captured it from home.)

I'll send the oops later, but is there a good guess from the assert alone?

Matt