Re: Help with file locking

On Apr 17, 2002  21:41 +0100, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 14, 2002 at 08:07:19AM -0500, John Fraser wrote:
> > We are working on an application that needs to grab files put onto an ext3
> > filesystem as soon as they are written.  We've looked at lsof, and other
> > tools, and are having troubles finding just the right mechanism to tell when
> > a file has been completely written and the other process has closed the
> > file.
>
> There isn't one, basically.
>
> > allow NFS users to put files onto the ext3 filesystem.  In both cases, we
> > need low-level knowledge of when the file is written completely so we can
> > grab the sucker right away.
>
> No such interface exists, but you have the source, you could write one!

Well, see my post/patch yesterday on ext2-devel about adding transaction
handle IDs to ext3/JBD.  This allows you to find out asynchronously when
a given transaction has been committed to disk, instead of doing sync
I/O.  It isn't very complex (i.e. no callbacks, and will probably need to
be redone when journal devices can be shared) but it is enough for us.

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger